Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Personal Sustainability...what a toughy!

     Implementing some of my "promises" are simple, while others are not as easy. It's easy to rinse a can out and throw it in a bin for recycling. It's even easy to recycle other random products, like carrot bags and plastic tomato pints. However, the community connection is not as easily achieved. Unfortunately my church is in Charlotte, I am not able to be there every Sunday to make pastries for the refreshment table.

     On a positive note, I have started all of my objectives in some way. I walk everyday to class and I take jogs when possible between work and classes.

     To measure my "non-green" activities before I started, I monitored what my average weekly recycling was. I recorded that and I am now keeping track of what I am recycling on a green-scale. I cannot really measure how much electricity I am using but I do know that I am keeping my lights, tv, and chargers off when they are not in use. I cannot control everything because I have roommates.

     Sometimes it is difficult to stick to the golden rule, but I know it is worth it. As time goes by, people will notice my efforts and in the end there will be more respect between me and the relationships that I have with others on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment