Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ecological Wonderings...

I took an ecological footprint quiz online. It determined how my day-to-day life impacted the earth. It told me if everyone lived the way I did that we would need 3.4 earths TOTAL just to handle how much consumption and waste there would be.

Based on the questions I was asked, it would not be too difficult to lower my impact on the earth. Simple ways I could do this are by buying energy saving light bulbs, trying to use a small solar panel on my house, introduce at least 3 new organic items to my refrigerator (which helps out in VAST ways)...so on and so forth.

If you look at the Urban Sustainability Reporting, a lot of the information is based on a small amount of random non-personal things, such as population in King, salmon in streams, etc. But the Ecological Footprint article talks about a lot of personal sustainability based on food products, packaging, healthcare, and entertainment.
Other community members need to evaluate themselves on a personal level, like with food and lighting, housing and personal farming. If they were to look at the Reporting article I do not think they would realize how they are affecting the sustainability of the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment